Home » HST Rebates, Ontario

Ontario HST Transition Cheques

14 June 2010 44 Comments

Ontario families may be eligible to receive HST transition cheques (Ontario Sales Tax Transition Benefit) from the government to help them cope with the implementation of Harmonized Sales Tax on July 1st, 2010.

Eligible individuals and families will receive 3 tax free payments in June 2010, December 2010 and June 2011. Individuals will receive a maximum of $300 paid in $100 amounts on the dates listed here. Eligible single parents and couples will receive up to a maximum of $1000 spread out over those sames dates. Single individuals earning more than $82,000/year will not receive HST transition cheques. Single parents or couples that earn more then $166,700 will not receive HST transition cheques either.

If you’re eligible, you must file your tax return to receive the cheque. There are a number of reasons that could potentially lead to “missing” HST cheques, as HSTinCanada has received numerous emails from people who believe they should have already received a cheque. If the CRA is expecting your spouse to file their taxes and they haven’t year, you won’t receive your HST cheque. Late filers can still receive the HST transition cheques; they will be cut approximately 8 weeks after CRA has received your income tax return.

If you are filing late, don’t delay too long! Taxes files over 1 year late forfeit the right to receive HST transition cheques.

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (4 votes, average: 3.75 out of 5)
Loading ... Loading ...

44 Comments »

• Vince said:

I have found out that in the family of one of my co-workers both the Husband and Wife each received a cheque for $330.00.
    Is this what my wife and i should expect?

• Diana said:

Heh…..if Ontario is giving out those transition cheques…..WHERE mis BC’s transition cheques…..

• Scott said:

I wonder why BC isn’t also offering HST rebate cheques to cushion the blow this new tax will bring.

• Mary said:

Why isn’t B.C offering the HST rebate cheques.

• Donna said:

Hi,

I would like to know the answer to Vince’s question.

• TARYN said:

I WAS WONDERING THE SAME THING!! , ABOUT WHERE OUR REBATE CHEQUES ARE AT ????? WE HAVE BILLS TO PAY AS WELL .. .

• twotimes said:

B.C. is not getting their rebate HST Cheques because the Provincial Government knows that the Tax WILL be “axed” and then all British Columbians would have to give that money back!!

• Denny said:

I don’t get it! Why tax people if you’re just going to give it back? Why not just increase personal income tax for the high earners and give low rates to the low income earners?????????????????

• Rosemary Ganley said:

My husand received $330 last week. I did not receive mine. Please respond

• Andy said:

The $330 is per household. It comes to one of the income earners. I got mine but had to give half to my wife.

• Alan said:

OK so I filed my tax return on Apr 30/10 and haven’t received my rebate ,where could it be?

• Bill said:

What rebate cheque? I received a notice that my family is not eligable for the rebate cheque because my wife and I with 2 school aged childern made more than $42,580

• HM Lim said:

I also received a notice that my family is not eligable for the HST Transition cheque because my family net income is more than $45,000.

I have learned that some other made more than my family already received the cheque. WHY????

• Howard HaRE said:

Denny, why keep punsihing the earners because they are successful, why not work harder instead of stealing your neighbours ‘ pay cheque?
    Look at Europe, the ship is sinking because lazy people got lazier and now the realise they can’t afford all the freebies.
    Quit paying people to have kids, you want a family, great, but make sure you can afford it.

• marilyn said:

I have been retired since 1995, and my income is 27,??? Here it is July 12th and I have not received anything. Why, when all around me have?

• Ruby Hutchinson said:

The CRA processed my 2009 Ontario Tax Return but to-date(July 14/10)I have not received my Ontario HST transition cheque either.

• Chris said:

Now that tax payers money has lined your pockets and the HST is official… what is the incentive for you people to upkeep this webpage ?

comments : 16
    responses : 0

• admin (author) said:

Hi Chris,

HSTinCanada.com is independent of any government entity. We’ve created this site as a place to openly discuss HST – we approve every comment and accept contributions from all kinds of sources.

The incentive to keep the site going is purely to keep the conversation going. Regardless of whether or not HST is beneficial to BC and Ontario, we don’t want the topic to be swept under the rug after it has been implemented. The discussion must go on and the citizens have to be ready to make an educated decision when it’s voting time. Traditional media will slowly stop talking about HST, but for those who are interested HSTinCanada.com is here for everyone to share their thoughts about how HST is panning out now that it is reality.

• weazel said:

My wife recieved 330.00, and today I got a Canada Pro Deposit for 100.00. Government is screwed up apparently.

• el said:

To the people who are asking about B.C. and their hst rebate..
    we are NOT get anything back.
    i beleave we were told that it was better for us to get use to it now. why delay the reality that we are going to have to pay the hst. why fool B.C. voters in to thinking they get something back. the only reason the Ont. people are getting any kind of $ back is because thier government wants to be re-elected ours has been in power far too long.i have been trying to vote them out since day one. i never voted them in and this is only one of the few reasons why.
    As far as i know New Brunswick not only took the HST but raised thier tax to 15%.

• Brooke said:

My husband recieved the $330 in July, but just got a letter saying our family would no longer be eligible for the Decemeber and next July refund because we had a household income of over 37K. We make about 90K combined which is much less than the 166K stated below. How come we are no longer eligible?

“Single individuals earning more than $82,000/year will not receive HST transition cheques. Single parents or couples that earn more then $166,700 will not receive HST transition cheques either.”

• Christina said:

I think People need to relax and learn to read….everything is in Black and white if you haven’t got your check….maybe you declared Bankruptcy this year and the post income tax takes longer to process. and just because you filed you taxes doesn’t mean the assessed them before june 10th, and who to say you were not reassessed which would delay the payment if you are married just because your income tax is assessed doesn’t mean your husbands isn’t maybe your husband is being Audited. who knows pick up the phone and call CRA instead of punching out 150 word of bitching and chewing about a government that isn’t going to change regardless of who is in there they all lie cheat and steal so what differance does it make. I personally did not vote for Harper but in my opinion he has does the best he can he is only human and he makes mistakes just like the rest of us. but with out or taxes we would not have alot of what we have. has anyone really watched at show from the states just to see how bad it is I know people that went to vegas last october and half the strip was closed all the smaller stores because people are not going the housing market is in shambles be glad ours is not that bad. It is a mere $330 that I still have not gotten and we make well below $160,000 with 2 kids but if I counted on it my bills would not get paid and I would be behind. Like my Grandma use to say never count your chickens before they hatch.

• moviegurl said:

when i first received the hst payment of $100 i was 9 months pregnant. now that i have my daughter, any idea if i will now get the $330 payment in december?

• Trish said:

You all have to sit back and relax! If you know how to READ then go to the website for Canada and look it up for crying out loud. http://www.canada.gc.ca and you will be able to read everything about the cheque. It clearly states that you will receive your cheques on the specific dates and if you don’t get it call the phone number and inquire to why you have not received it. 1-800-959-8281. They are paid to answer any and all of your questions. So stop whinning and just do a little freaking work to see what exactly you are entitled too. If you are a family, both spouses are not supposed to each get a cheque. Now if you have and you did not let them know well then you are now the one that is taking from people and should be open and honest because this will come back and haunt you as they will figure out the mistake and demand that you repay one of the cheques.

• Hungry said:

I earned 60,000 last year and my wife around 59,000.
    Are we both eligible to receive this HST rebate???

Please advise!!!

Thx.

• Paul said:

Why are singles being shafted with this HST rebate? We still have to pay for the same HST crap that everyone else do. HST on my maintenance, HST on my hydro, HST on everything. This is ridiculous!

• moviegurl said:

I appreciate the website Trish, however i do not recall whining at all. I am actually a single parent and do not have a spouse so i would appreciate it if you left your judgments and accusations to yourself. I have never taken money that i did not deserve in my life and i resent the implication that i have, if you are not going to be understanding and insist upon being insulting towards others, i do not understand why you would bother responding at all.

• yaz said:

SOMEONE SHOULD BE A LITTLE MORE PATIENT IF THIS WEBSITE WAS MADE TO ASK QUESTIONS THAN WHAT DOES “TRISH” EXPECT “FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!

Trish said:

• babygirl said:

why is everyone crying about this it is so easy to find out if you are going to recive it or not just call the 1-800 number and ask they are not going to say you are a bad person for asking what can it hurt to ask REALLY people i thaught there were more smarter people out there dont go asking other people for the info call your self because then you find everything you need to know about this and no you and your spouse do not get a cheque each it is one cheque for a family is $330 and for a single person they get $100 dont listen to your friends because i did then i called and found out different so when people say a payment is out and they tell you all about it call and find out your self because your friends just want to feel special and think they know everything HAVE A GOOD DAY! PEACE

• Brenda said:

I received a cheque for $188 the first time with an income of under with 30,000 with the daughter’s income. She is now 19, does that mean we are now entitiled to the $333 and she gets her own $100?

• Ross88 said:

Just wondering if anyone may know the actual day, in which rebates will be mailed or deposited.

Much Thanks.

• Tax Preparer said:

A family receives HST cheque totaling 330 dollars if your income inclusion was around 55000 and if the income inclusion is over 100,000 a family receives 1000. If an single person made 42000 then they will only receive 100 dollars. I can’t see how husband and wife both receive 330 dollars because when you are married its one OTC and one GST per household. Not unless husband and wife are claiming single and that’s not cool another drag is that you can expect to be audited if you lie on your income tax return. Common-law is considered married bear that in mind.

• Cassandra said:

december 10th is when its direct deposited.

• Ashley said:

The HST cheque is mailed Dec 10th unless you set up direct deposit. If you did it will be placed in your account Dec 10th 2010. If you are a single parent or not you will receive $335 Dec 10th. If you do not file your taxes together with your husband/wife or ex they will also receive a cheque for $100. If they are files together you will only receive the cheque for $335 because it is 1 cheque per house hold/Family. My mother in law lives with us and she receives her own cheque for $100. If you have older children but they have never FILED their taxes they WILL NOT receive a cheque.

• Ashley said:

HST is based of your tax returns so if you are not up to date Filing your taxes that could be a reason why you have not received a cheque.

• KELLY said:

I DID NOT RECEIVE MY DEC 10TH HST DIRECT DEPOSIT YET TODAY, EVERYONE ELSE DID WHY?

• Dave said:

I didn’t receive my 10 Dec payment either! Whats going on.

• kim said:

I have not recieved 1 hst cheque y is this? I filed all my taxes and I work very hard at my job… My common law partner gets a hst transition cheque but where is mine? because I pay taxes to and I get nothing in this regard Y is this? because he sees his name on it and assumes it is his and I cannot get it through to him that it is for both of us cause we both pay taxes

• Kevin said:

Is the $82,000 gross or net income? There are friends that received the rebate and I did not. They make the same as I do. Is 166,700 gross or net for family pay?

• melody said:

bc will get a rebate at the end of this yr if the hst go’s stays

• temp said:

if i didnt receive my finally payment of the hst when will i be receiving it

• wolfgang seidel said:

Hi.
    Will there be an HST rebate payment in Dec. 2011.
    If yes, what day.
    Thank you.
    Wolfgang Seidel

• wolfgang seidel said:

Hello ,
    Will there another canada pro ( HST ) cheque available in dec 2011??

Thanks,
    Wolfgang

• WabasseMiss said:

I agree with wolfgang ..

Will there be another canada pro HST cheque available for dec 2011..
    if so give the date.. thanks

Leave your response!

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags:

This is a Gravatar-enabled website. To get your own globally-recognized-avatar, please register at Gravatar.